THE PAP CORPS
The Pap Corps is named for George Papanicolaou who invented the Pap Smear, the diagnostic tool used to detect cervical cancer. He was the former director of the then- Dade County Cancer Institute which merged with UM's original Comprehensive Cancer Center
In 1952, when cancer was still referred to − in whispers − as the “big C,” a small group of women turned from lamentation to development of an action plan. Their goal was to raise money for research on the early detection and treatment of cancer at The Dade County Cancer Institute.
Eventually, the name of this research center was changed to The Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute, in honor of the famous doctor who developed the test for detection of uterine and cervical cancer, and who was working on early detection of stomach cancer. Not long thereafter, these cancer-cure activists became known as the Papanicolaou Women's Corps.
Now known as The Pap Corps, Champions for Cancer Research, our membership roll exceeds 20,000 men and women. All are volunteers, including every member of our Executive Board.
Since its inception in 1952, The Pap Corps has donated close to 50 million dollars, providing seed money for Sylvester’s breakthrough research on the causes and more effective treatment of all cancers that affect men, women and children around the globe.